How to Properly Size Kids for Youth Motocross Helmets
When it comes to ensuring the safety of your child while they enjoy motocross riding, selecting the right helmet is of paramount importance. Properly sizing a youth motocross helmet is crucial to ensure a snug and secure fit that provides adequate protection. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of sizing a helmet for your child.
1. Measure the Head Circumference
Using a soft measuring tape, measure the circumference of your child's head. Start above the eyebrows, around the widest part of the head, and back to the starting point. Make sure the tape is snug but not too tight. Take note of the measurement in inches or centimeters.
2. Refer to the Size Chart
Consult the size chart provided by the helmet manufacturer. Each brand may have slightly different sizing guidelines, so it's important to follow their specific recommendations. The size chart will typically correlate the head circumference measurement with the appropriate helmet size. Take note of the size range that corresponds to your child's head circumference.
3. Try on the Helmet
Once you have determined the appropriate helmet size based on the size chart, it's time to try it on. Have your child put on the helmet and adjust the straps for a snug fit. The helmet should feel comfortably snug without any pressure points. The cheek pads should be in contact with the cheeks, and the chin strap should be securely fastened.
4. Check for Proper Fit
Ensure that the helmet fits properly by performing the following checks:
- The helmet should not move or shift when your child shakes their head.
- The helmet should not put excessive pressure on any part of the head.
- The helmet should not obstruct the field of vision.
- The helmet should not feel loose or wobble when the chin strap is securely fastened.
5. Consider Additional Factors
While the head circumference is the primary factor in determining helmet size, there are other factors to consider for a proper fit:
- Head Shape: Different helmet brands may cater to different head shapes. Some helmets are more round, while others are more oval. Consider your child's head shape and choose a helmet that matches it.
- Age and Weight: Some helmet models are specifically designed for younger or older children. Consider the age and weight of your child when selecting a helmet.
- Adjustability: Look for helmets with adjustable features, such as removable padding or adjustable straps, to ensure a customized fit as your child grows.
- DOT Approval: It is crucial to choose a helmet that is DOT (Department of Transportation) approved. This certification ensures that the helmet meets safety standards and provides adequate protection.
6. Seek Professional Assistance
If you're unsure about the sizing process or want additional guidance, consider visiting a local motocross shop or consulting with professionals who have experience in fitting helmets for kids. They can provide expert advice and assist you in finding the perfect helmet for your child.
7. Regularly Check and Replace Helmets
As your child grows, their head size may change. It's essential to regularly check the fit of the helmet and replace it when necessary. Additionally, helmets should be replaced if they have been involved in any accidents or impacts, as they may no longer provide adequate protection.
Remember, a properly sized motocross helmet is essential for your child's safety. Investing in a high-quality, Youth DOT Approved Motocross Helmet is a wise decision to ensure the utmost protection. The Youth DOT Approved Motocross Helmets we offer are designed with safety and comfort in mind. Browse our range of helmets and choose the one that fits your child perfectly.