Things about Black Friday you may not know
Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is widely known as the biggest shopping day of the year. It marks the beginning of the holiday shopping season, with retailers offering huge discounts and deals to attract customers. However, there are some fascinating facts about Black Friday that you may not be aware of. Let's explore them:
- The Origin of Black Friday: The term 'Black Friday' was originally used to describe a financial crisis in the United States in 1869. However, it gained a new meaning in the 1960s when retailers started using it to represent the day they moved from being 'in the red' to 'in the black' - meaning they turned a profit.
- Record-Breaking Sales: Black Friday consistently breaks sales records year after year. In recent years, online sales have been a significant contributor. In 2019, online sales on Black Friday surpassed $7.4 billion in the US alone.
- The Early Bird Catches the Best Deals: If you want to snag the best Black Friday deals, you need to be an early bird. Many retailers open their doors as early as midnight, and some even start their sales on Thanksgiving evening. It's not uncommon to see people lining up outside stores hours before they open.
- Black Friday Goes Global: While Black Friday originated in the United States, it has become a global phenomenon. Many countries around the world, including Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, and more, now participate in this shopping extravaganza.
- Online Shopping Takes Center Stage: With the rise of e-commerce, online shopping has become increasingly popular on Black Friday. Many people now prefer to shop from the comfort of their homes, taking advantage of online-exclusive deals and avoiding the crowds.
- Not Just for Electronics: While Black Friday is famous for its electronics deals, you can find discounts on almost everything during this shopping event. From clothing and home appliances to travel packages and beauty products, retailers across all industries offer enticing promotions.
- Planning and Research are Key: To make the most of your Black Friday shopping experience, it's essential to plan ahead and do some research. Many retailers release their Black Friday ads in advance, allowing you to compare prices and map out your shopping strategy.
- Deal Hunting Online: One of the advantages of shopping online on Black Friday is the ease of comparing prices. With just a few clicks, you can visit multiple online stores and find the best deals. Additionally, signing up for retailer newsletters and following them on social media can give you early access to exclusive discounts.
- Impulse Buying vs. Planned Purchases: Black Friday can be overwhelming with so many deals and discounts available. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and make impulse purchases. However, it's important to stick to your budget and focus on planned purchases to avoid buyer's remorse.
- Cyber Monday: While Black Friday is known for its in-store deals, Cyber Monday has gained popularity as the online shopping equivalent. Falling on the Monday after Thanksgiving, Cyber Monday offers exclusive online discounts and is a great opportunity to find deals on electronics, tech gadgets, and more.
- Black Friday Safety: With the large crowds and excitement surrounding Black Friday, it's crucial to prioritize safety. If you plan to shop in-store, be aware of your surroundings, keep your personal belongings secure, and follow any safety guidelines provided by the retailers. Alternatively, online shopping eliminates many physical risks, but it's still essential to practice safe online shopping habits, such as buying from reputable websites and using secure payment methods.
Black Friday is a shopping phenomenon that has evolved over time, offering incredible savings and opportunities for consumers worldwide. Whether you love the thrill of in-store shopping or prefer the convenience of online deals, Black Friday is an event that you won't want to miss. Remember to plan ahead, stay safe, and enjoy the excitement of finding great deals on this special day!